Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:43:06 PM UTC-4, rickman wrote:
On 7/3/2014 9:19 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:54:04 -0700, rickman wrote:

...snip...

Wow, you seem to have a problem with authority. Of course you can use

the fan anyway you wish.

Problem with authority? Maybe, but it was a LEARNED response.

Actually, I was trying to confirm whether others experienced what I had

found empirically, and was in direct opposition to the 'experts'

suggestion. Plus, convince Ms. Macy that I am NOT an idiot and

delusional for thinking I know more than the experts on these House shows.

The recommendation has nothing to do with your

house, it has to do with your skin. As others have pointed out when

it is warm a slight breeze can feel good, so the fan is set to blow

down so you can feel it. In the winter when it is cool you don't want

to feel the breeze, so set it to up. By the time the circulation

reaches you it is greatly dispersed and you don't feel the cool air so

much.

I thought that way too, directly blowing down onto me in hot weather

'sounded' better. But just confirmed that blowing down on me ended up

'feeling' a good 5 degrees hotter, than letting air come in from the

sides. I now have the fan set for UP and it feels cooler in the room

than with NO fan. And earlier it definitely felt hotter with the fan

blowing DOWN, by several degrees above what it was like with NO fam.

I can't explain that and it is in direct opposition to what I have

observed. With the fan blowing down gently I feel the breeze and it

helps. I never felt like the air was a warm wind. With the fan blowing

up I don't feel anything, but then my ceiling may be higher than yours,

it is a cathedral ceiling.

+1

The effect I've noticed is exactly what you describe. I have mine
set to blow down. I only use them in the summer. I feel breeze,
which has a cooling effect. I don't notice that the air is hotter.

With it set to go up, I don't notice much of anything. I'm also not
buying the theory that in winter it should go the other way and it;s
going to be a good thing. If you leave air alone, I would think
you'd get some boundarly layer effect, where the air meets the surfaces.
By disrupting that, I would think you could have more energy loss,
just like air blowing past a radiator transfers more heat.