Posted to alt.home.repair
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

TomR wrote, on Tue, 01 Jul 2014 13:10:56 -0400:

Any chance that you could hook up a deal with a local (possibly volunteer)
fire department? I don't know how many gallons a typical fire department
pumper truck holds, but I know that most can pump 500 to 1000 gallons a
minute if needed, so I assume that they can hold more than 1000 gallons.
Maybe have them do a training exercise for newer firefighters on the
operation and use of the pumper trucks and give them a significant donation
for doing that.

The local Calfire trucks are pretty small. They hold 500 gallons and 700
gallons. What Calfire told me was they almost always are attended by
water tenders anywhere they go.

But, they said they don't ever put water in someone's tank unless
they sucked it out. Whatever they use, they say they replace, but,
they don't put it in if they didn't use it (liabilities they said).

Also, two different guys said different things regarding the wharf
hydrants at every residence. One said they almost never use them,
while the superior said they use them a lot. So, I'm not sure if
they even use them, because they prefer their water tenders, but,
they did say the pressure is low coming out of the wharf hydrants.

As for the training, they said they'd come out and talk to us at
our homeowners meetings, which we have sporadically.