Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
robobass robobass is offline

Default when you buy plumbing parts at HD

On Monday, June 30, 2014 5:57:36 PM UTC+2, Clare wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 04:22:46 -0700 (PDT), robobass

Over here in Canuk Land I find I can USUALLY buy locally for less

than online.

Case in point - I wanted a pair of "Cocoon" wear-over sun glasses.

Best online price, not including shipping, was $5 more than I could

buy them from local optician - with NO shipping. (Paid $35.00)

There are some things I just plain cannot buy locally - which I DO buy

online. Generally electronic parts or specialty bits. Auto parts I

can most often buy from the DEALER for less than online (things like

the step-plates for my 1996 Ford Ranger - dealer cost HALF what they

would cost online or from LMC.

Yes. What you can get online depends a lot on where you live. I think that in North America there are factors which make it slower to catch on, but I'm surprised to hear that you can get auto parts cheaper at the dealer. Not at all the case here, at least for my Alfa Romeo. In Germany there are maybe two major factors. First, we have fast and cheap shipping - I suppose that's partly down to shorter transit distances. And, a total lack of retail options. The retailers here seem bent on reducing choice to the bare minimum, and just don't seem to be trying to compete. "You want this toilet in gray? Well, let's see...I can get it for you in a month". I go online and can have it in two days and pay less. Car parts? There are nine million listings on German Ebay. 34,000 just for my specific model and year.