Posted to alt.home.repair
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

CRNG wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:28:54 -0500:

Average *in house* water usage is 50 gal/day/person. That is without
any conservation. That covers washing, cooking, toilets and all other
activities that occur in the house.

That means this 500 gallon spare tank "could" last someone ten days:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5571/1...13b6ae13_b.jpg

Based on the very helpful suggestions in this thread, we're planning
on tying that 100 pound plastic tank in a pickup or trailer.

The key question is what kind of pickup/trailer can haul the
weight that we will have access to.

Since the hints here are to fill it to the brim, the tank has
the number 685 on it, so, we assume it holds 685 gallons max:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3847/1...747e92b5_b.jpg

Roughly, 685 gallons x 8 pounds ~= 5,500 pounds, plus another
hundred pounds for the tank itself, is about 2-1/2 tons.

So, we need to find a truck (or trailer) that can haul 2.5 tons
up a windy road from this brand new fire hydrant:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3867/1...cd625d51_b.jpg

Any suggestions on the pickup truck given those new numbers?