Posted to rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

On 2014-06-30, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 6/28/2014 10:52 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VkSmaFAuaH4

I watched about half of that. Was it serious or was it supposed to be
satire?

When I watched the first few minutes, it was at work without audio,
and it was baffling. I just watched the whole thing _with_ audio.

It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Bookmarked at 7:36. I anticipate many future applications.

I'm still in awe of how well the whole thing was done.

I loved how he referred to setting up a pencil sharpening "practice"
rather than a "business" -- thus elevating being a pencil sharpener to
the same category as being a lawyer or doctor. The classic 1940's
leather train case for his equipment was a nice touch too.

I do remeber being taught how to sharpen a pencil in junior high
school shop class when we were doing a 9-week mechanical drawing
course (using wooden pencils) -- and then again as a feshman at Penn
State (using mechanical lead-holders).

Of course there aren't any subjects that I take way too seriously and
rant on and on about until all my fiends are ready to strangle me.

[Did I tell you about the ad on Craig's List for a "Radio Alarm Saw",
I'm assuming that one's due to auto-correct, but for dog's sake
people, proof-read your ad when you're done.

Or how about placing an ad which comprises (in its entirety)
"Craftsman table saw: $275. North Metro" -- no photo, model number or
specs. Craftsman has been selling table saws for something like 75
years, and has sold probably a few hundred different models. Of
course when I'm shopping for a table saw, it doesn't matter which
model it is, how old it is or what sort of shape it's in. What
matters is that it's from the "north metro". Or how about the ad for
"hand tools: $100 for everything in picture" with no picture.

BTW, the guy tring to sell a $7 set of Menards house brand spade bits
for $17 has updated his ad. There's now a picture of both the front
and back of the blister pack. At least he spelled everything
correctly.]

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hmmm ... an arrogant
at bouquet with a subtle