Bill Day

Default Musing about worth of turnings

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:35:22 GMT, Ralph Fedorak
wrote:

Very nice work, Bill I can't speak for the rest of the group but I sure
would like to know If you got what you were expecting for the pieces.

thank you, Ralph! I appreciate the vote. It makes me nervous to post
those here where so many turners I respect hang out!..... I will post
something next week on how it went.
I have made 2 other 'major' pieces from Yew root, and they both sold so
fast it scared me, for $185 and $225...so I know that unusual pieces
WILL sell if they have the right audience. 10 years ago, I never
dreamed I'd be making pieces with holes and broken edges, but now I have
to force myself to do something with a simple, solid rim.

I was just thinking...one way I do price is to take several pieces that
I do feel I have a sane, fair price on, and ask myself how the NEW piece
stacks up...and then my wife and a couple of friends tell me to raise
the price by 20% *grin*. (One piece I had for 5-6 years and it just
would NOT sell...so every season I raised the price, starting at
$65....when it reached $110, it sold!...go figger!)