Posted to alt.home.repair
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:05:11 -0400:

Since they are 2,000 altitude, it may be there
isn't enough water to be useful. Danny, do any
of your neighbors have good supply of water?
If no neighbors have water, it's possible the
deeper well option isn't viable.

I'm *not* by any means an expert. So, what I tell you is
just what I happen to observe or hear.

In "my" case, I have two wells. I don't remember what the initial
inspection said of the depth, but the good well is about 400 feet
deep, and the bad well is shallower. The good well produces water
enough to keep my 10,000 gallon tanks full, but I don't use much
water at all. In fact, I prefer to pee outside, for example, assuming
it's good for the environment (and nobody can see me doing it!).

For "my" two wells, one can't run more than two or three minutes
(or maybe not even that) before shutting down, even in the late
winter. The other well, the deeper newer well, can run for ten
minutes or longer in the late winter, but right now, it's cycling
every three or so minutes also. So, we all know what that means.

However, *most* of the neighbors are not complaining, yet one has
a well which (she claims) is a thousand feet or more deep! (I find
that hard to believe). Another just told me he had a well drilled
which is 500 feet deep. There are vinyards here, so, they *must*
be using a lot of irrigation water (although most have a run-off
collection system for interring the winter rains underground).

The main ones with the problem are the two single moms, who have
at the moment, what I'm told is a "dry" well. It may just be that
the two of them are both renting out portions of their households,
so, their water load is too much for the one well (I don't know),
but, at the moment, the concerns are more prophylactic than
dire (at least for me).

With 40-acre zoning out here, nobody is going to build any more
houses, so, we have to make do with what we have right now.