Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

On Friday, June 27, 2014 5:11:27 PM UTC-7, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:16:36 +0000 (UTC), "DannyD."

wrote:

The San Jose Water Company sells water out of the fire hydrants at $2.70 per
CCF (i.e., $2.71 per 748 gallons) after we rent a "portable meter", either a
1-inch portable meter (output is a male 3/4-inch garden hose thread) at
$29.48/month, or a 3-inch portable meter (output is a male 2-1/2 inch firehose thread) at $176.98 a month.

I can't help you with advice for getting the water delivered, but I
can give you some advice if you opt for the "firehose" thread option.
Back in the day it was not all that uncommon for several neighboring
towns to all have different threads on their hydrants. There used to
be dozens of threads used on hydrants and I'm confident that has
become more standardized over the years. My advice is make sure you
know what threads are on the hydrant(s) you would use.

Good luck.

That bit the city fire department badly. about 4am one night the city fire department garage caught fire (later determined to be caused by a plugged in extension cord hanging over a nail). All the trucks were inside and could not be gotten out...except one, the antique "Wimpy", a truck from the 20s or 30s stored in another shed. Fully operational and full of vintage equipment...none that was of any use as the connections did not mate up with the fire hydrants. We lost the garage and all fire department equipment. By the time other agencies got there all they could do was keep the fire from spreading.

Harry K