Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

On 6/28/2014 2:43 AM, DannyD. wrote:
Edward Reid wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 02:05:26 -0400:

Maybe the 5 miles isn't all on the
grade, but it sounds like his 'hood may be 2000' above that closest
muni water.

This is an astute calculation.
The municipal water supply is at about 300 to 600 feet elevation.
The houses are all well above 2000 feet elevation.

As former volunteer FF, and having taken some fire
protection courses, I remember lift takes 0.434 PSI
per foot of rise. Sounds like you're better off
driving than pumping.

I paid 3.69 for cheap nolead yesterday, and it's
more like 3.89 in some places, here (western NY),
IIRC. I think California with the botique designer
low smog fuels cost a pile more than NYS.

So, you'd best to budget a LOT for motor fuel on
your project. Driving water uphill is not going to
be the same as one frail gramma in a Prius. Might
get dual 1,000 gal tanks, one white for potable
water, other red for gasoline.

--
..
Christopher A. Young