Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

Which brings up another question. Using whatever method you decide on,
how long will it take to break even on just having the current well
drilled deeper.

Which brings up another question: So how long before even the deeper wells
run dry? I've read this is not just a drought-induced issue but that the
water table in that area has been receding for decades due to groundwater
pumping. There are also some interesting geological questions relating to
whether an ever-smaller water table might have an effect on future
earthquakes.

"When humans deplete groundwater," said Benoit, "the amount of mass or
material in Earth's crust is reduced. That disrupts Earth's force balances,
causing uplift of nearby mountains and reducing a force that helps keep the
San Andreas fault from slipping."

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=131393

We've seen that fracking induces earthquakes, albeit small ones, but I think
the jury's still out on what effect all the water-shifting that goes on in
that part of the country will have in the long run.

It's important to remember that areas of lush vegetation have become deserts
in very short geological timespans because of volcanic eruptions or other
major events. You don't have to go very far inland in California to find
plenty of deserts.

It won't be long before we start strapping huge engines on icebergs and
steering them toward Califonia to keep the nation's agriculture center
afloat. (-;

--
Bobby G.