Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default John Lewis mash m/c - any good?

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:38:34 PM UTC+1, John Stumbles wrote:

Our old washing machine seems to be destined for the great spin cycle in
the sky[1] so new one time. John Lewis have their own brand JLWM1200 for
£230[2] but it seems to be made by Zanussi to JL's spec[3].
I thought Zanussi were generally reckoned to be crap. Does the fact John
Lewis use them make them OK or make John Lewis crap?
[1] house RCD cut out last weekend. Magic smell seemed to be escaping
from machine. Investigation revealed no obvious damage on PCB but motor
brushes down to nothing. eBayed some more & put them in today. RCD
clicked straight off again. Don't think I can justify shelling out on new
PCB or professional repair on ancient machine (Bosch Maxx WFL2260).
[2] http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-...hine-6kg-load-
a-energy-rating-1200rpm-spin-white/p230604487
[3] http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/...03-review.html

I'd prefer to fix the Bosch. When brushes wear out they splatter carbon dust all over, this is the most likely cause of the rcd trip. Running the motor through the washing machine is an easy way to get most of it off.

Spare used parts arent expensive when you can find them.

NT