Darrell Feltmate

Default Musing about worth of turnings

Arch
This question brings up the whole topic of whether what we make has any
value at all. After all, as I told a lady who was complaining that my
salad bowls were too expensive, you can buy a serviceable facsimile at
the local Wal-Mart or whatever for three bucks in good plastic. What we
make is obtainable cheaper in mass produced form in various materials
including quick turned and poorly finished but adequate wood. What we
sell may be good or great craft, but I believe it is purchased for the
esthetic qualities of the wood itself coupled with the nuances of the
turner who produced it. Some of us at some times are able to produce
true art, whatever that is and I am not trying to open that can of worms
again. The price may depend on the time and material, but the sale
depends on the wants and needs of the purchaser. As a salad bowl, that
12 inch piece of ash may be worth about three bucks, as a nice piece of
wood that begs to be held and admired for the beauty of the wood and, I
hope, the turning, it may be worth $85 or more. Thanks for a chance to
ramble Arch.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate