Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell Continuously rings- (but not a short)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:17:05 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

philo wrote:
On 06/19/2014 12:03 PM, SKrapp wrote:
My wired doorbell button broke so I bought a replacement (the actual
plastic button cracked and fell out) The doorbell worked fine before
the button broke.

I purchased a replacement button and removed the old one- here is what
stumps me:

As soon as the wires from the doorframe contact the screw terminals on
the new button, the doorbell chimes repeatedly. This happens at
contact- without the actual button being pressed.

In fact- The doorbell chimes repeatedly if I touch the wires to any
metal (screwdriver, or the copper piece from inside the new button, or
each other)

I bought a second button after I dismantled the first replacement
button trying to make it work (remove diode, etc.).. same thing
happens with second button.

The chime works fine, the transformer has output... the chime rings
when the wires touch each other...only repeatedly.

Any suggestions before I pull the wires and go wireless?

Maybe you got a lighted button?

Just get a button that is nothing but a switch

Hi,
+1.

reverse the wires and try. If it still chimes without pushing the
button get a simple non-lighted button. I'm assuming this is an
electronic chime - only the RIGHT lighted button will work.