Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Vintage Chairs

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:44:52 AM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Also very hard to reupholster because the cover is sewn to the black rubber at edge and the cover is glued to the chair/foam.

And probably molded foam, of sorts, vacuum pressed onto the chair, first, and the upholstery is/might also be vacuum glue-pressed onto the foam. There was a guy, here, who used to repair/upholster similar/assortment of commercial chairs using a vacuum press. He applied that technique to some of his auto/bike/marine reupholstering, also.

Taking that vacuum cue, I once tried repairing/replacing the molded foam of a trashed tractor seat. Wrong kind of foam, but it half-ass worked. It was fine for my BIL, so nothing was lost. I suppose a larger piece and/or a more intricate piece would be more problematic for vacuum pressing efficiently.

Sonny