Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adding vibration to lathe cutting tool to aid cutting

On 2014-06-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:34:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

I don't know about employment tests, but I remember one ad in
one of the industrial electronics magazines (back in the late 1960s or
early 1970s) for a company who wanted to take over your electronics
assembly work. They did not get one of the girls off the line. They
either went out and got the boss's secretary or some other particularly
attractive lady -- or hired a model.

She put on the lab coat, sat at the bench, and picked up the
soldering iron to pose for the photo. It was one of those Ungar ones
with a ceramic heating element past the cork insulated grip on the
Bakelite handle. She was holding it *by* the ceramic eating element.

Based on her expression in the photo, it was not plugged in. :-)
(And, based on the color of the heating element, it had *never* been
plugged in.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--