Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Griffiths John Griffiths is offline

Default Any EDUCATED guess on the weight of this printing press?

on 14/06/2014, Ignoramus7881 supposed :

On 2014-06-13, Karl Townsend wrote:

I would gestamate 10K per section. So somewhere in the neighborhood
70 to 100k pounds. The ones i worked on were mostly made off cast
iron.

Thanks. I am trying to get some info on this. I will let you guys know
how it worked out in the end.

Just curious, do you go to the work to sell prepared cast and steel?
or just haul it in any way possible?

Usually I do not try that. The labor is not worth the $10-20
difference in price per ton.

I just went to the printing place where this machine is. I saw it
again.

It is huge.

I estimate that it weighs 32,000-36,000 per section.

This is not just my guess, I also got some educated opinions.

Any ideas on how much time it will take to dismantle that beast?

I am guessing 2.5 weeks.

Could I sell you the Sydney Harbour Bridge?
There is about 52,000 tonnes of steel in it.

It is a popular joke selling the bridge to gullible tourists :|