Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulics problem

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:30:23 -0500, Ignoramus32163

On 2014-06-12, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:49:13 -0500, Ignoramus32163
wrote:

Lower power output of pumps does happen due to wear. Pay to have it
rebuilt.

If oil is leaking past the gears then the pressure should drop, right?
Danfoss, who make hydraulic gear pumps agree with me. They say if the
pump pressure plates wear the pressure output will bw lower. And lower
pressure is the problem I am having.

I recall reading a certain talmudic tome on hydraulics and they say
that neither having a high pressure, or high flow, alone, indicates
that the pump is not worn. Only loss of "power", which is pressure
multiplied by flow, is a good indicator that the pump is worn.

You have a hydraulic pressure gauge on your machine, right? Easy to
add one temporarily and see what the pressure does when the pump is
pumping a lot of fluid.

I have lost power. The cylinders don't move as fast or pull as hard as
they used to. The machine does not have a pressure gauge for the
hydraulics that operate the how and loader. I think I know where to
put one now. But of course it's ****ing down rain here and I don't
have a place big enough to drive the backhoe into to work on it. Maybe
tomorrow I can fit a pressure gauge and see.
Eric