Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulics problem

I have a mid 70s Case CK780 backhoe. The thing had seen lots of abuse
before I bought it and I have used it pretty hard since. The power of
the hydraulics has gotten weaker over the years. I used to be able to
kill the engine by trying to push or pull too hard. Now this doesn't
happen. So I'm thinking that the pump has a lot of wear. Over 30 years
ago I used to repair gear pumps in a lumbermill I worked in by
grinding the end plates of the pumps to remove scoring. But I don't
know how much more pressure the pumps put out after this repair, it
was just what I was told to do and I did it a lot. Considering the age
of the tractor I'm wondering if I might just be better off buying a
new pump and also if there is somwhere else I should look for the
lowered power of the hydraulics. The power loss has been gradual over
the years so I'm thinking it's probably the pump.
Thanks,
Eric