Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Squeaky hardwood floor

On Monday, June 9, 2014 10:49:19 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, June 9, 2014 9:49:24 PM UTC-7, Gz wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

I am getting static from other occupant about squeaky hardwood floor in

hall, through which I must constantly pass.

He's light sleeper; won't use ear plugs; I have to do ***something.***

This is an old So. Calif. stucco house. Crawl space -- no basement.

I just read up on this squeaky hardwood problem, but my days of getting

under there with the black widow spiders are over.

This one is from on top.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5704292_fix-...od-floors.html

There's also a site that suggests sprinkling baking soda down the cracks.

Anybody tried this?

Would welcome any experience.

HB

I've used nails, shims on top of joists, and finishing a floor with coats

of polyurethane. Never tried screws.

The shim method gets recommended a lot, but I'd rather not get down in the crawl space with the black widow spiders if I can fix it from inside.

How does finishing floor with urethane cure squeak?

Yo, Greg - what's with the urethane floor squeak? RSVP SVP

HB