Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , John
Rumm wrote:

On 09/06/2014 23:31, Tim Streater wrote:

Seems to me he was just cautious. Lose a carrier and it would have been
game over.

If you were cautious you would learn the abilities of your air
defences and use them to best advantage... he basically dismissed
them even though they were pivotal to the outcome.

A bit like the captain of the Glorious, then? Wasn't even flying
patrols and so didn't spot the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau before they
saw - and sank - him. But then he was a submariner, AIUI, and so
probably didn't understand what carriers are for.

I read in a book by Johnnie Johnson that they had embarked the RAF
aircraft defending Norway. Have to wonder if they were overcrowded and
unable to get air cover off the deck.

--
Tim Lamb