Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 23:31:27 +0100, Adrian wrote:

Ah yes, Concorde taking off. Follow the line of the runways west from
Heathrow, and just past the M25 you will find the Queen Mother
reservoir, home to Datchet Water Sailing Club. You didn't want to be
sailing on the south end of the pond when Concorde took off, the whole
boat would shake.

Had to go to a house, er, somewhere just under the /approach/ path to
Heathrow. Riding in the noise of the planes, even landing, was almost
unbearable - I'd hate to live there - then Concorde came in. It made the
others seem like background noise - I'm quite happy that I've never heard it
take off!

Another time I was riding down the A329 SE. of Goring. Lot of noise from the
traffic on the wet road and a fast train adjacent to the road. The whole lot
was drowned out by Concorde going over. Must be about 25 miles from
Heathrow; the 'plane didn't look very big, but by 'eck!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away