Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Squeaky hardwood floor

On Monday, June 9, 2014 2:20:21 PM UTC-7, BobMCT wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 12:16:24 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:

I am getting static from other occupant about squeaky hardwood floor in hall, through which I must constantly pass.

He's light sleeper; won't use ear plugs; I have to do ***something.***

This is an old So. Calif. stucco house. Crawl space -- no basement.

I just read up on this squeaky hardwood problem, but my days of getting under there with the black widow spiders are over.

This one is from on top.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5704292_fix-...od-floors.html

There's also a site that suggests sprinkling baking soda down the cracks.

Anybody tried this?

Would welcome any experience.

HB

I have them too. I saw on TOH years ago where Tom Silva used screws

specially made for tightening squeeky floors. You pre-drill a pilot

hole and screw them into the flooring so it secures the flooring to a

joist below it. Then the top of the nail shank can be broken off

leaving the secure part of the screw below the surface of the

flooring. Looks pretty effective (if you don't mind little holes in

your floor stips).

Thanks; I did find a site -- think it was TOH -- about that procedure. The screw head is supposed to break off below level automatically, after which one fills the hole with (colored) wood filler.

Any actual experience out there?

I'd search google for "silencing squeaky floors" Good luck.

I'm workin' on it. Real world experience like this NG is so valuable!

HB