Posted to alt.home.repair
BobMCT BobMCT is offline

Default Squeaky hardwood floor

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 12:16:24 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I am getting static from other occupant about squeaky hardwood floor in hall, through which I must constantly pass.

He's light sleeper; won't use ear plugs; I have to do ***something.***

This is an old So. Calif. stucco house. Crawl space -- no basement.

I just read up on this squeaky hardwood problem, but my days of getting under there with the black widow spiders are over.

This one is from on top.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5704292_fix-...od-floors.html

There's also a site that suggests sprinkling baking soda down the cracks.
Anybody tried this?

Would welcome any experience.

HB

I have them too. I saw on TOH years ago where Tom Silva used screws
specially made for tightening squeeky floors. You pre-drill a pilot
hole and screw them into the flooring so it secures the flooring to a
joist below it. Then the top of the nail shank can be broken off
leaving the secure part of the screw below the surface of the
flooring. Looks pretty effective (if you don't mind little holes in
your floor stips).

I'd search google for "silencing squeeky floors" Good luck.