Joe Fleming

Default Hollowing a Vessel

Barry,

For vessels up to about 6-7" in diameter, the Kelton small hollowers (1/2"
shank) or the smaller Jordan hollowers (1/2" shank) will work well. The
Kelto mini hollowers (5/16" shanks) are too small for this size of vessel.
they will flex too much.

Joe Fleming - San Diego
========================
"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
I am about to embark on my first real hollowing adventure. To this point,
my only hollowing has been with small lidded boxes, perhaps 3" deep. My
tool of choice has been a 3/8" spindle gouge.

Now, I intend to attempt a small vessel, perhaps 6" or 7" in diameter by

8"
or 9" tall with a 3" diameter opening. I intend to use green wood, either
maple or cherry. This just to "get my feet wet" in hollowing, so to

speak.

Is this a viable project on a Jet Mini lathe? I do not own a hollowing
tool. What is a good reasonably priced hollowing tool for a beginner?

How
about a Termite tool? Or one of those deals with a teardrop-shaped cutter
on the end of a round shank? Any advice would be appreciated. Please

keep
my lack of experience with hollowing tools in mind. Thanks.