Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

The engines for the Vulcan were developed long before Concorde was even
thought of. There was one Vulcan which was adapted as a test bed for
Concorde engines, though, One engine on one side of the plane instead of
the usual two. In the same way that there was a Shackelton with a Vulcan
engine underneath the fuselage, flying out of Bitteswell in the 1950s.

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Yes the engines are those which were developed for concorde. I can
remember standing there rather deaf and awe struck as that particular
plane took off with its ring of jets squirting raw fuel into the exhaust
and burning it and making clouds of black smoke, and yes the noise. I
think the main reason that was retired was due to its anti social
problems. I like the way that when something like burning fuel in the
exhaust comes up its not given that name, its called reheat, which is
somewhat of an understatement for such engines. Brian

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18