Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The Vulcan Bomber

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 20:44:11 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

ARW expressed precisely :
Today I was working at Finningley the home of this

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Just after 3pm it it went into the sky.

The first thing you notice is the noise. It makes more noise just
taxiing down the runway than a commercial jet makes on lift off!

It then flew towards the house (the floor vibrated) and blew the fumes
from it's exhaust into the house as it made it's turn. It smelt like a
an old petrol engine with a manual choke that was too far out.

Awesome - but totally OT.

Whilst working there, I witnessed the entire fleet take off, now thats a
noise you would never forget.

I remember a cartoon in a book of Falklands military humour (still have
it somewhere):

Argentine soldiers watching a Vulcan drop a bomb on (well, near) the Port
Stanley runway:

"Caramba, Pedro [or some such]: If that's the size of their planes, how
big are their aircraft carriers??"