George

Default lathe mounting height...

Mike, you might consider a method I use in my small shop. I have my router
"table" stored under another tool which needs elevation. It can be brought
out as needed and clamped into my workmate. In your case, you might
consider a "cabinet" big enough to store your lathe, already mounted on a
board which can be clamped onto the top of the cabinet with the router setup
below. Might even concede a bit of the ideal height for the router table
and make it 35 inches or so, with the dados cut so you can slide your lathe
shelf below, with the head and tailstocks straddling your router. That
would bring the whole up to your elbow. A sneaky guy would mount the lathe
forward, with tool storage boxes behind. Slide the lathe forward, remove
the boxes to save your back, and have at it.

If you get the non-enclosed base with your bandsaw, your lathe will fit on
the shelf below.

"Silvan" wrote in message
Well, thanks to all. Sounds like the short stand was a bad plan. I think
I'll build a minimum-sized full-height stand using the suggested sizing
considerations and then figure out what to do about it when I eventually
need to use something behind it.

This will probably discourage me from ever using my router again, so when

get rid of the router I can move the lathe up against the wall, and then I
can get a bandsaw and scratch my head trying to figure out how to get
_that_ into my shop.

Having a 10x12 shop sucks sometimes, but it's sure a lot better than
nothing!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/