Silvan

Default lathe mounting height...

Martin Rost wrote:

You don't have to build a stand, at least not yet. I currently have my
Jet
sitting on top of my table saw (old cast iron saw) and it is stable. You
can put the Jet on any sturdy surface and start turning. Once you've been
using it for a while, you can plan a stand and design and include what is
important to you.

Fair enough, but the big problem is finding a sturdy surface that I don't
need to use for a bit. My router table would be ideal, but it's too small.
Everything else gets used too often.

I can always put it on the workbench if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather
knock out a stand that ultimately proves unsuitable and recycle it later
(the wood I have earmarked for this is free, ugly, and has been in my way
for years, so I don't mind using it) than I would lift that thing up and
down constantly. I can handle the weight, but it's awkward, and my back
ain't what it used to be.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/