Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default E10 (ethanol/ gas) and 2-cycle engines

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:37:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 14:36:43 -0600, Rolling Block wrote:

On 5/30/2014 8:21 PM, jim wrote:
If the tanker truck is filled with E10 then ethanol
is blended with 84 octane as the truck is filled.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=27&t=10

All gasoline vehicles can use E10. Currently only light-duty vehicles
with a model year 2001 or greater can use E15. Only "flex-fuel" vehicles
can use gasoline with an ethanol content greater than E15.

The energy content of ethanol is about 33% less than "pure" gasoline,
although this varies depending on the amount of denaturant that is added
to the ethanol. Thus, vehicle fuel economy may decrease by up to 3.3%
when using E10.

I beg to differ, as I lost fifteen percent of my mileage when Oregon
moved to E10 "oxygenated fuel". Feh!

Well, the actual energy deficiency is about 50%, so if the engine is
set up to run on it efficiently, E10 will cost 5% in fuel economy
(which is what I've found to be pretty close) Some engines that are
already set to run lean will suffer a LOT more when ethanol is added
to the equation.