Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default I finally emptied & cleaned & refilled & balanced the pool -thanks to your help

On 5/31/2014 6:32 AM, Danny D. wrote:
sms wrote, on Fri, 30 May 2014 17:42:32 -0700:

I highly recommend adding borate. It's enabled me to drastically reduce
the pump run time while maintaining a clear pool with optimal ph level
and optimal chlorine level.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/4655-So-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-Why-and-How

Hi SMS,
I was wondering where you were lately.

You had turned me on to the 12% HASA liquid chlorine deal a few years
ago, which has, unfortunately, gotten more complicated lately than
just printing a coupon off their web site.

I don't know if you've been there, but, now, you pay, in the end,
about $3.85 for a gallon of liquid chlorine, but the 'deal' is
complicated because you first buy 6 gallons, and then you get 2
gallons free with a printable coupon; but then you get a card
marked off, which says "buy 11, get the next one free".

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt. They said it was because Hasa changed
ownership and the new owners aren't offering the stores the same
promotions as in the past. I rarely require so much chlorine so unless I
share eight gallons with my neighbor I'm back to buying the two gallons
in the box. I'm using a lot less chlorine now because of the borates.

Anyway, my biggest problem was that I didn't have enough
water to fill the pool in one shot!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5454/1...1bb9e146_b.jpg

But you should be happy that you're not paying for the water.

In fact, it took about three weeks to fill the pool to the level
that the skimmers could work without the pumps sucking air:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2897/1...309bd6e3_b.jpg

That I needed tons of chlorine, which was just being burnt off
by the sun, until I figured out the trick to adding POWDERED
(not granular!) cyanuric acid such that a dozen pounds of the
cya powder dissolved in the pool water in just one application!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3799/1...6f8fb243_b.jpg

Those 'clouds' in that picture above are *in* the water, not
above the water. It's a beautiful sight to see as anyone who
has waited eons for granules of CYA to dissolve will appreciate.

My *biggest* problem is that this Craftsman 1/2 HP pump wouldn't
pump water except at a dribble!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3791/1...9729f003_b.jpg

I'm sure there is something wrong with it, as I spent more
time priming it than it did pumping. It wouldn't develop a head
of more than about a foot, which seems dismal for a half horsepower.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2930/1...d92c725c_b.jpg

Does anyone know what goes wrong with such a pump which makes
it almost useless since it can only pump level (i.e., it couldn't
bring water *out* of the pool, so I had to hand carry the water
out from the deep end!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3734/1...05700dc5_b.jpg

I use a Harbor Freight pump for draining. I think the seals dry out on
unused pumps. The two times I've drained the pool have been with new
pumps since after I drain it, the pump sits unused for about seven years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-submersible-dirty-water-pump-with-float-69300.html.
Then a 25% off coupon so it's less than $48. I would have let you borrow
it. I adapted it to the pool hose and pump the water into a downstairs
toilet because I can't find the access to the sewer in the yard (I'm
sure it's buried there somewhere). My neighbor said I could use his but
he has never been able to get it open.

I don't want to do *that* ever again, so I should figure out
how to figure out what is wrong with the 1/2HP Craftsman pump!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5466/1...13d4a257_b.jpg

The key thing to remember when draining and refilling a pool is to
always drain the deep end first and refill the deep end first.