Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default I finally emptied & cleaned & refilled & balanced the pool -thanks to your help

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:36:40 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
Tekkie® wrote, on Wed, 28 May 2014 19:27:16 -0400:

I'll be over for my yearly dip.

It's almost ready for your annual dip!

So far, it has taken three weeks (elapsed time) to almost fill

the pool from the well water because the well just couldn't put

out more than about a thousand or two thousand gallons without

running dry.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3721/1...804dcb1c_b.jpg

I've snaked all the bottom drains, popups, and side vents:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2922/1...63173085_b.jpg

One huge technical problem I just solved today was how to

dissolve 12 pounds of professional cyanuric acid powder in

one sitting!

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3717/1...d6f33721_b.jpg

As you may know, CYA has a low solubility in water (2g/l@25ºC).

That means only 1/10th of a pound can dissolve in my 5g bucket:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5517/1...f36835bd_b.jpg

After making a few mistakes, I realized is that this professional

powder cannot be applied wet, as the retail granules are!

It must be applied dry!

Otherwise it cakes instantly!

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5159/1...2b59f88c_b.jpg

I finally figured out how to keep the cyanuric acid powder in

a suspension, so that it can be poured into the pool like milk!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2901/1...c71a9dd0_b.jpg

The result is a dispersing "cloud" of water-separated particles:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3799/1...6f8fb243_b.jpg

But, it took a few experiments where all I got was caked CYA on

the floor of the pool before I figured out the physical chemistry

of a substance that turns into instant cement with water!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2898/1...2c16a580_b.jpg

Apparently the cyanuric acid is slow to dissolve because of the

amount of energy it takes for water to dislodge a CYA molecule

from its crystal structure (analogous to an activation energy for

chemical reactions).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2911/1...b14c9b48_b.jpg

The rate of dissolving has a far greater dependence on the

surface area of the granules and on the circulation of

water around them. Finely crushed CYA dissolves more quickly

than the retail granules, though it is so light that it can't

readily break the surface tension of water and ends up floating

on the surface when I apply it by shaking it out of a dry net:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5113/1...9d55434f_b.jpg

So, I learned a lot about how the pros apply cyanuric acid

powder (which, I might add, isn't easy to buy because it's not

apparently sold to the general public):

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3754/1...f9945a46_b.jpg

Most folks use the regular CYA, not powder, put it in a nylon
stocking or old tee shirt and toss it in the skimmer. It still takes
a long time, week+ to dissolve. Another theory is just add it to
the skimmer, let it wind up in the filter and the water will supposedly
dissolve it there as long as you're not backwashing anything soon.
I've never done it that way, because I figure after it goes into the
filter, it could be soon covered up by some other debris and might
not dissolve. But folks who do it that way have measured in the pool
and according to them it works.

Actually, it's not much of a problem here in the northeast. Between
pumping out rainwater, backwashing, winterizing, etc about the right
amount of wate gets taken out so that using trichlor the cya stays in
the right range and you typically don't have to add any, unless you're
draining/refilling like you did.