Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default "Embedding" Lubricants?

Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Doug White wrote:
There are a variety of greases & oils that have microscopic particles
of PTFE, Molydisulphide, etc. in them. The claim is that the
particles embed themselves in the pores of the metal surfaces, and
provide long term reduction in friction.

My pistol club bought a bunch of Crosman 2300T air pistols to teach
kids how to shoot. The triggers are heavy & generally atrocious.
Even with the trigger weight screws set to the minimum, most of them
are over the maximum weight Crosman says to expect. Many of them
started out over 4 pounds, which is ridiculous for 10 year old kids.
Competition air pistol triggers should be just over 500 grams.

As soon as the current pistol class is over, I have volunteered to
try to fix the triggers as best I can. There are YouTube videos on
the process, and basically you just polish up the stamped steel sheet
metal parts where they rub. There are aftermarket triggers with
rollers, but the club isn't going to pour more money into these
pistols.

I'm hoping the right lube will help maintain the trigger jobs for
more than a few shots. I don't think the surfaces are hardened
beyond whatever work hardening they get from stamping.

Any favorite lubes I shoudol consider? I have moly assembly grease
with a very high moly content, but I don't know if the PTFE stuff
might be better.

it sounds like they're pieces of junk and should be treated as such.

They were all the Club could afford, but if they'd applied for a grant
before they dove into this, they probably could have gotten money for
much better pistols. There's actually a fair amount of money available
to start new shooting programs, especially for kids.

grab a file, sandpaper and stone and work on the parts that should be
sliding until they're smooth. At that point, the lubricant you pick
won't even matter.

I may bring some rubberized abrasive points & my Dremel. That will
polish things up quickly if the shape is OK.

No joke about the file. I tossed one in the tool kit when I had to
break in a russian shotgun, and had to use it.

I've worked on a number of Russian target pistols. At least on those,
the critical surfaces ae usually in good shape. Very often the rest of
them is a bit crude, especially if it won't show. Apparently they never
heard of Eli Whitney either. There's frequently a lot of hand fitting
involved, and parts are often far from interchangeable.

Doug White