Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Embedding" Lubricants?

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:47:35 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

The surface finish is more critical than the lube you choose . And be damn

careful to maintain squareness and angles of contact . A surface that's in

full contact will have a lower per-unit pressure and feel lighter . Just

about any good quality gun oil will work just fine . IMO the moly-based

lubes are over-rated for most uses - they do have their place , and I like

'em in my wheel bearings .

--

Snag

I agree with Snag. If the surfaces are in full contact the pressures will be lower and will not squeeze out the lube. I might differ from him on using gun oil. Gun oil is pretty thin stuff so guns will work in freezing weather. You might try a thin grease in some guns and see what works best.

Dan