Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default "Embedding" Lubricants?

There are a variety of greases & oils that have microscopic particles of
PTFE, Molydisulphide, etc. in them. The claim is that the particles
embed themselves in the pores of the metal surfaces, and provide long
term reduction in friction.

My pistol club bought a bunch of Crosman 2300T air pistols to teach kids
how to shoot. The triggers are heavy & generally atrocious. Even with
the trigger weight screws set to the minimum, most of them are over the
maximum weight Crosman says to expect. Many of them started out over 4
pounds, which is ridiculous for 10 year old kids. Competition air
pistol triggers should be just over 500 grams.

As soon as the current pistol class is over, I have volunteered to try
to fix the triggers as best I can. There are YouTube videos on the
process, and basically you just polish up the stamped steel sheet metal
parts where they rub. There are aftermarket triggers with rollers, but
the club isn't going to pour more money into these pistols.

I'm hoping the right lube will help maintain the trigger jobs for more
than a few shots. I don't think the surfaces are hardened beyond
whatever work hardening they get from stamping.

Any favorite lubes I shoudol consider? I have moly assembly grease with
a very high moly content, but I don't know if the PTFE stuff might be
better.

Thanks!

Doug White