Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default 2-pin plug supplied

On Sun, 25 May 2014 13:23:14 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of
different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin,
,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes
and shavers

It depends what you mean by 'just for'. I think you'll find that all
such bathroom outlets are labelled "For shavers only".

Which is what they were developed for, it's probably too awkard to
change the lettering or get type approval to account for the
development of Electric toothbrushes which I wouldn't be too surprised
were well on the way to be more more numerous than electric shavers as
the whole family can usually use them.

Any how my comment was about the the two pin plugs not the sockets
which Harry was trying to suggest were special to Shavers and
toothbrushes. Shavers and toothbrushes may be the last common use of
round two pin plugs in the UK but the American flat two pin plug and
the flat angled two pin plug used In Australasia/ China which these
shaver units also take are still used for lots of things besides
shavers and tooth brushes , It will be rare that a foreign user will
bring such an appliance over and attempt to use it in a UK shaver
socket, but I bet a US travel Iron has blown a few Hotel ones as the
user has seen the possiblity of plugging in.

G.Harman