Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default 2-pin plug supplied

On Sun, 25 May 2014 10:07:01 +0100
wrote:

On Sun, 25 May 2014 08:30:11 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
I just bought a new electric toothbrush, one of the Oral-B ones,
pretty much universally available.
Tesco wanted £35, Morrisons wanted £17.50 for the exact same model,
so that's where we bought it.
But when unpacked, (after much fighting and cussing) it only has a
2-pin plug, which would be fine if we had one of those bathroom 120v
transformer/sockets,
A bathroom shaver socket has a transformer fitted and is isolated
from the mains supply.
This makes it next to impossible to get an electric shock.
The bathroom socket can only supply a few watts

Most shaver sockets I see have sockets which will allow a variety of
different shaped two pin plugs from overseas to fit, flat two pin,
,angled two pin . I doubt if all these plugs are just for toothbrushes
and shavers
The UK shaver plug has the same pin size and spacing as an old 2 pin 5
amp plug so if I so desired i would have no trouble plugging an
ancient lamp from by Grans House which has been packed away for about
50 years. Equally I do know of a premises that still has a 2 pin 5 amp
socket in place. A toothbrush could easily be plugged in.

So your statement
This is why shavers and toothbrushes have a special plug, so only
they can fit into the bathroom socket

is wrong.

G.Harman

But I don't have a bathroom shaver socket, so what am I supposed to do?

--
Davey.