Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cen-Tech 1000W Inverter Questions

On Sat, 24 May 2014 12:57:42 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2014 07:53:29 -0700, sms
wrote:

You could try another one, but it sounds like HF just rated the inverter
way too high. Or else you're not using sufficiently thick gauge wire.
The motor may be drawing more current when using a modified sine wave
that the inverter puts out. Allowing for losses in the conversion you
should use about 10AWG wire and connect directly to the battery. For
higher loads look at 4AWG wire, i.e.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007L6DYVS or 2AWG i.e.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/power-inverters/300amp-6ft-inverter-cable-set-69537.html.

I looked into using an inverter to power my house a while ago.
Instructions are all over the net,
The first thing you learn is you need heavy copper from the battery to
the inverter. I forgot the sizes, but it's thick copper, especially
is you're coming from a car/truck battery, and have the inverter out
of the engine bay.
Like jumper cables, you don't go cheap.
Lots of people do it right, and have no issues.

But they are NOT running a house on a 12 volt inverter!!!!!! Running
even 1000 watts on a 12 volt battery pack is not a terribly wize
decision. 24, 26, or 48 volts makes a WHOLE LOT more sense.