Posted to alt.electronics
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Power factor and domestic electricity billing in the UK?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 23 May 2014 17:12:48 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:21:44 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:51:54 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

HB have had 2 types - a 4W with 4 SMD LEDs and a very tiny switcher
PCB
inside the body, and a 5W one with 24 simpler SMD LEDs and a wattless
dropper.

Several in an enclosure could be a heat problem, so I'd prefer the
watless
dropper type when they have any in.

Look on Ebay, there are much cheaper better ones. But buy them from a
UK
seller who is registered in the UK (not just posting from a port in
the
UK). Otherwise the distance selling regulations won't help you if
they
fail.

Most of what I've seen on Ebay that I'd want to order, is from China
etc.

LED bulbs are plentiful on Ebay. There are loads of UK sellers who have
imported thousands and sell them from this country, with our consumer
protection laws applying.

Royal Mail extorts a racketeering 'handling charge' for collecting any
duty.

Its pretty much put me off bothering.

What are you talking about?

A few years ago I ordered an electronics kit from Jaycar in Australia.

The duty to be collected was about £4 - that and the Royal Mail 'handling
charge' for collecting it came to more than 50% of what I paid for the
kit!

Its pretty much blackmail - cough up the extortionate charge or you don't
get your goods - which will eventually be disposed of.

By "duty" I assume you mean import taxes. That shouldn't occur unless the
item is over about £30-£50. Secondly any decent seller will write it as
"gift" and value "$10".

Well Jaycar didn't, and I got mugged by RM.