Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Spontaneous shattering of double glazed panels

On Fri, 23 May 2014 21:37:49 -0400
S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/23/2014 7:34 PM, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2014 19:27:15 -0400
S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/23/2014 7:16 PM, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2014 21:28:18 +0100
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/05/2014 14:34, Johny B Good wrote:
trucks --- for the benefit of any confused
americans
It's not as if we're talking about carts and trolleys. AFAIK
lorry only has one meaning.
True, but it is not in the American dictionary. Nor is
'fortnight'. Nor is 'twice', unbelievably.

Which American dictionary have you consulted?

The verbal one of living there for 30 years.

Michigan must be more backward than the east coast.

I lived and worked in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, New Jersey, New York,
Illinois, Minnesota, California, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky,
Maine, Connecticut, Virginia, North and South Carolinas, and maybe
more, and visited many more. In none of them were the words 'fortnight'
or 'twice' ever used voluntarily by any American I met, and if I used
them, I got asked what I meant when using them.

Another oddity is the use of 'one-half' instead of 'a half', as in:

English: "He took the corner too fast, and rolled the car one and a
half times".
American: "He took the curve too fast, and rolled the car one and one
half times".
It always sounds odd to the English ear.

--
Davey.