Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default Spontaneous shattering of double glazed panels

Yes it happened to a smoked glass mug about a year ago. it was just sitting
there on the table with water in it. There was a dull thud then a dripping
sound, so I went in and found a miniflood with tiny bits of dark glass in
it. Most odd.
I've also had strange things happen in greenouses with plastic sheet going
bang, turning black and all scrumpled up and brittle. i assume this is some
kind of sun damage, which is not really welcome in a greenhouse!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Graham." wrote in message
On Thu, 22 May 2014 11:54:48 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 22/05/2014 10:04, Dave Chapman wrote:
Hi all,

We purchased an add-on conservatory from one of the large UK
suppliers about four years ago and since then we have really enjoyed all
of the benefits of a warm bright place to sit and relax even when the
weather outside is far from ideal.

However, our enjoyment has not been without its downside since one
morning about 18 months ago when we went into the conservatory we
noticed that the inner glass of one of the many double-glazed panels had
shattered into 'a million' pieces for no obvious reason.

The most common cause of spontaneous shattering is a scratch somewhere
that is deep enough to act as a stress concentrator. The flexure of the
building with cyclic heating cooling and wind loading gradually makes
the crack grow until it becomes self sustaining and detonates.

It is even more alarming when it happens with a toughened glass jug of
water and the whole thing disintigrates into 5mm pieces.

I one saw it happen to a molded glass Hors d'oeuvre dish, just after
Grace was said. Spooky.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%