Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Cen-Tech 1000W Inverter Questions

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:03:19 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Oren wrote:

On Thu, 22 May 2014 12:38:38 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/300Amp-6Ft-Inverter-Cable-Set-69537.html

I agree it would be good to know how he's got it hooked up. But on

the other hand, while it's *rated* at 1000W, the motor he's trying to run

is more like 120W. The inverter would have to pull maybe 12 amps to

support it, so if he has it wired in to something capable of supporting

even 12 amps or so, it should still work.

One of the inverter reviews, a guy was disappointed, thought he could

just plug it into his cigarette lighter in the dash. The items comes

with no wires or cables it seems.

Derby, how it wired in. (I have no solutions on wiring as I've been

known to make smoke)

I tried 2 different sources: One of those 12V "jump start" power packs and

the 12V accessory port in my van. In both cases I used a 12V extension

cord, probably 16g. Obviously not the right wire for this application.

If it's going to require those huge wire "starter motor" wires and end up

as permanent installation, then this device is not what I want.

According to the manual, you need 7 gauge wire to go 7 ft. That of course
is to support the full 1000W cont, 2000W peak. So, if you're looking for
anywhere near that, then you're not going to get it out of the aux outlet.
If you're looking to just run small loads like the current one, then you
could certainly get by with smaller wire. But you'd have to change the
fusing. It says it's fused for 120A, 40A x 3. If you can refuse it to
a lower value, then you could use say 10g, which is more manageable, but
it would reduce your max 120V power accordingly.

The other question is what can that aux outlet support? 10A? 15A?
If that's where you want to hook it up, then you're going to be limited
to 120W - 180W input power, maybe 20% less output.

Can you try hooking it up temporarily to the battery, maybe with some
jumper cables, etc?