Posted to alt.electronics
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Power factor and domestic electricity billing in the UK?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 May 2014 22:20:36 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:51:54 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Wed, 21 May 2014 20:25:54 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

The housing association insisted on a splashproof luminare in the
bog -
only just managed to persuade the electrician not to put one in the
kitchen
too.

Who gives a **** what they insist on? When he leaves, remove it.

A few years ago Morrisons did a special offer of CFLs for 99p - then
extended the offer to buy one get one free, at that price I filled a
couple
of carrier bags.

While LED bulbs are still at least £9.99 and I'd need 3 to give the
same
light as a CFL, there isn't much incentive to make the change.

£15 gives you 150W equivalent. £10 gives you 100W equivalent. £3
gives
you 50W equivalent. And that's including postage.

There's not much point figuring out a conversion for the enclosed
unit
that
I have 2 spare ballasts and 2 spare tubes for - way back when I
bought
replacement parts, there weren't the options that are available now.

Might start visiting the dump again - if I can salvage a few GU10
fittings,
Home Bargains sometimes have 5W bulbs that are allegedly equal to
40W -
3
of
those in the bog fitting should be plenty.

LEDs that fit in GU10s run very hot and don't last long. I've gone
off
CREE LEDs and go for the corn on the cob ones. Hundreds of tiny SMD
LEDs.

HB have had 2 types - a 4W with 4 SMD LEDs and a very tiny switcher PCB
inside the body, and a 5W one with 24 simpler SMD LEDs and a wattless
dropper.

Several in an enclosure could be a heat problem, so I'd prefer the
watless
dropper type when they have any in.

I'd recommend you go for whatever has more LEDs. The big 1-2W LEDs
simply
cannot be cooled well enough.

The 4W one has 4x lens capped LEDs with a molded lens plate that fits
over
the lot so you don't get 4 little beams,

That sounds like CREE LEDs. The kind I have in GU10 that last about 4-6
months.

the 5W variety has 24 simple SMD
LEDs with no lens as such - much better spread of light IWHT.

Yes. I like the corn on the cob as the light comes out all round it and
the end, just like a CFL.

They're on a flat disc, not corn cob. Apart from H4 replacements I've only
seen corn cobs advertised in the Indian EFY magazine.