Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-05-16, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I had a huge struggle with soldering a couple of DB-9 connectors, my
vision and fine motor control just aren't what they used to be. And, I
only had to make 5 connections on the DB-9's, it took me close to an
hour. These are for a DRO, I've been using a break-out box until now on
the mismatched scales and display. Remember, the display bit the dust a
while ago.

For your connectors (really DE-9 -- the shell sizes change with the
number of pins) what I would suggest is to get a good AMP crimper, and
buy the AMP connectors with crimp pins. There are two sizes of the
crimp pins, covering different ranges of wire sizes, so be sure to order
the right ones -- or both. The small covers 28-24 Ga, and the large
covers 24-20 Ga.

The proper crimper is the AMP 90312-1. It has a sliding holder
for the pins, which can slide up to accept the pins, and then down to
put them into the crimper.

Currently, they are on eBay for a wide range of prices. The
least expensive is BIN $24.99. Auction #251499221475

Note the black sliding part on the second photo which is the positioner.
Without that, it will be a real pain to use. I've seen some on eBay
without that. Here is one -- at a stiff price of $110.00 which appears
to not have the positioner. #251278271984

My search string was:

"AMP 90312-1 crimper"

You will still benefit from a magnifier lamp, or good close
glasses and a good lamp. And really fine wire can still be tricky to
do, but they will do it. (And unlike the white nylon insulated ones by
Cannon (now quite rare) they don't melt while you try to solder. :-)

You can sometimes luck into them for even less. I got the one
which is in my lap as I type at a hamfest for $3.00 -- in the factory
box with the data sheet/manual and a 35mm film can with several of each
size of pin in it.

You'll also need a double-ended pin insertion/removal tool.
With stiff wires, you can insert without the tool, but removal needs the
tool anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--