Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Protecting Finish in Mill Vise?

I have a small part I need to modify slightly. It is steel, but with a
polished finish, and I don't want to scratch it up. It's difficult to
tell, but it may have a very thin epoxy or some other protective coating.
It's hard (RC ~ 52), and I will be using a sharp carbide end mill and light
cuts. I only need to remove 5 to 10 mils in one area.

I don't want it to slip in the vise, and I'm wondering what's the best way
to hang onto it while protecting the finish. I could use tape, but Scotch
tape is a bit slippery, and the adhesive on masking tape is thick enough
I'm concerened it might creep. I could ue thin cardboard shims, or maybe
even aluminum, but that might mar the finish.

Comments? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Doug White