Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Dental floss

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:30:49 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 9:18:57 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited..

I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet

This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

Many of the comments were about dental floss blocking the plumbing. Wouldn't that be because the DF was not properly tied to the faucet?

As to the snide comment about not being able to sleep because of the dripping, has writer ever heard of the Chinese water torture? Actually, depending what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT to keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid concept.

I KNEW people would weigh in on Chinese water torture, and I should have found a better analog to faucet dripping. Shutter banging? Too loud. Dog barking?
Too irregular. Oh well, there's something out there soft, insistent, invariable, maddening.

People who didn't tie the floss SECURELY to the faucet and incurred plumbing problems should check in with the Boy Scouts knots.

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB