Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dental floss

Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 12:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

This one of the nifty ideas like bending a popsicle
stick so that some wood remains and keeps the two
halves connected. I doubt it really works.

You'd be better off to crumple a towel in the sink,
so the water has a soft landing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 12:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down
the drain and plug it up? ;o)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:52:55 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:
On 5/13/2014 12:18 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited..

I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet

This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down

the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 7:55 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not
degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 8:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/13/2014 7:55 AM, TimR wrote:
Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down

the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge
plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not
degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.

Pipes, does that include eating dental floss?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2014 11:18 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet This little trick might mean the different
between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and
it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the
spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will
simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake
all night.

If you are sleeping where you cannot "escape" the noise of a dripping
faucet, there are bigger problems in your lifeg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites
listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks
in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's
sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a
plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the
basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of
drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

It's the same concept as using a chain or other "surface tension" device as
a downspout.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/7qwDF.jpg

http://www.prettycleverdecor.com/med...18a36cd4_l.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites
listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in
walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's
sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a
plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the
basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of
drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

--------------------

"Robert Shepard did not need a file baked in a cake to get out of jail.
Instead, he used dental floss to make his escape. While cameras, guards and
computer-controlled doors were keeping other inmates in, Shepard reportedly
braided the floss into a rope as thick as a telephone cord and used it to
scale an 18-foot wall."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 7:55 AM, TimR wrote:
Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss
down the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge
plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not
degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.

Pipes, does that include eating dental floss?

Unless you're into the "hairball" thing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1933134.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 02:43:39 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

...snip...

This one of the nifty ideas like bending a popsicle
stick so that some wood remains and keeps the two
halves connected. I doubt it really works.

You'd be better off to crumple a towel in the sink,
so the water has a soft landing.

Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd ask
is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not related
to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and coffee
table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself clever,
who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses, including one
where you take a leather thong and hang it around your neck as a macho
tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 13 May 2014 02:43:39 -0700, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...snip...

This one of the nifty ideas like bending a popsicle
stick so that some wood remains and keeps the two
halves connected. I doubt it really works.

You'd be better off to crumple a towel in the sink,
so the water has a soft landing.

Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd
ask is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not
related to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and
coffee table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself
clever, who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses,
including one where you take a leather thong and hang it around your
neck as a macho tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?

Was this use on your list of 6 or on the expanded list of 26?

http://markmaynard.com/wp-content/up...irViolence.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 04:55:40 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down

the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

The 15 lb. Beast....

Pics:

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139781857/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139785909/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790294/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790297/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790298/original
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 15:40:22 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

Or this?

http://pocketgrow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/8ba626a0e2155abfa3bd213bdbba202e.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per RobertMacy:
I was once told there were over 26 good uses, including one
where you take a leather thong and hang it around your neck as a macho
tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?

At the college I went to one of the fraternities inducted a guy who was
a body builder. His initiation consisted of having to carry around a
cinder block 24-7.

I once told my daughter's obese best friend to try carrying around a
cinder block all day to get an idea of what losing 25-30 pounds could do
for her life. She somehow internalized it as an automobile tire
hanging on straps over her shoulders (a better image, IMHO) and told me
years later - after she had lost many pounds - that it was really good
advice.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 12, 2014 9:18:57 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.

I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet

This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin.. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

Many of the comments were about dental floss blocking the plumbing. Wouldn't that be because the DF was not properly tied to the faucet?

As to the snide comment about not being able to sleep because of the dripping, has writer ever heard of the Chinese water torture? Actually, depending what kind of sleeper you are, a sound like dripping faucet is PERFECT to keep you awake. For the record, I'm not one, but it sounds like a valid concept.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I'm not defending the "snide" comment, but I have to take issue with your
reference to Chinese Water Torture.

CWT is a process where water is dripped onto the forehead of a restrained
person. That is very different than water dripping in the sink within
earshot of a person trying to fall sleep. Very different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 18:49:51 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm not defending the "snide" comment, but I have to take issue with your
reference to Chinese Water Torture.

CWT is a process where water is dripped onto the forehead of a restrained
person. That is very different than water dripping in the sink within
earshot of a person trying to fall sleep. Very different.

Certainly. It was one of her spontaneous emotional outburst.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dental floss It lives it breathes

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down

the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

The 15 lb. Beast....

Pics:

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139781857/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139785909/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790294/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790297/original

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/139790298/original

Some tasty morsels there! Yummy!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 07:02:38 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"Robert Shepard did not need a file baked in a cake to get out of jail.
Instead, he used dental floss to make his escape. While cameras, guards and
computer-controlled doors were keeping other inmates in, Shepard reportedly
braided the floss into a rope as thick as a telephone cord and used it to
scale an 18-foot wall."

I don't know who this guy is. In federal prisons, "bar taps" are done
daily and documented. A rubber mallet is used to pound the bars in
prison cells. Think of it as a tuning fork, making vibrations. The
sounds with indicate a cut bar or knock it out. Oh, never miss the
bar. You might knock the cell window out in dead of winter. DAMHIKT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dental floss Bar rescue?

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"bar taps"

Right away you want to change the subject to liquor. I like to liquor.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 May 2014 08:40:22 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

...snip...

Was this use on your list of 6 or on the expanded list of 26?

http://markmaynard.com/wp-content/up...irViolence.jpg

Sadly, weaponry WAS on my list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:30:49 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I KNEW people would weigh in on Chinese water torture, and I should have found a better analog to faucet dripping. Shutter banging? Too loud. Dog barking?
Too irregular. Oh well, there's something out there soft, insistent, invariable, maddening.

People who didn't tie the floss SECURELY to the faucet and incurred plumbing problems should check in with the Boy Scouts knots.

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2014 12:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB

Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt
them out, after they are spayed or neutered.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Women? Well, 3 out 4 isn't bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2014 21:18:57 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Found a huge cache of dental floss in a bathroom cabinet long unvisited.
I'd always heard it was very strong, so went on-line and found many sites listing scores of uses from shoelaces to fishing line to repairing cracks in walls, to slicing cakes, and on & on.

This one was clever:

Quiet A Dripping Faucet
This little trick might mean the different between you and a good night's sleep. If your faucet is leaking and it's too late at night to call a plumber, tie a piece of floss at the spout and let it trail down into the basin. This way, the water will simply slide down the string, instead of drip-drip-dripping you awake all night.

HB

In Chicago our aparment bathroom had separate faucets for hot and cold,
and the hot was very hot, so I bought a mixer at the hardware store.
Each end of it had an O-shaped rubber piece and the nozzle of each
faucet could be put in one, and the output was in the middle.

But the faucets were pigeon-toed, not parallel, both pointing forwards.
They were angled somewhat towards each other.

So I twisted them until they fit.

A few weeks later, the cold started to leak, under the sink. I put a
bucket, but it was clear that would only work for a hour or two.

So I put a 12" box under the bucket, filled some surgical tubing with
water, and turned it upside down to make a siphon into the toilet. It
wasn't quite long enough so I put a big soda straw in the end of the
tubing, and the rest of the soda straw under the seat, but above the
bowl.

It was making noise, so I wrapped a washcloth around the pipe that was
leaking and let it run to the bucket.

The plumber didn't come for about a month, no adjustments were made to
the setup, and no water ever got on the floor. The siphon was
self-regulating, speeding up when the leak speeded up (and the height of
the water in the bucket was even higher than the end of the soda straw),
and slowing down when it slowed down, (and the difference in height was
less.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 May 2014 03:16:02 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/14/2014 12:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB

Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt
them out, after they are spayed or neutered.

Aren't safety pins the larval form of wire coat hangers? As in, you bring
safety pins into your home, shortly you can't find them anyplace, and your
closet ends up full of wire hangers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/14/2014 12:49 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

(Now where can I find a home for a half-dozen or more DF containers.)

HB

Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt

them out, after they are spayed or neutered.

Aren't safety pins the larval form of wire coat hangers? As in, you bring

safety pins into your home, shortly you can't find them anyplace, and your

closet ends up full of wire hangers.

Amazing! Very few people know the secret behind this phenomenon.
You must be wired (pun intended) into this esoteric site.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2014 6:51 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Call your local SPCDF and see if you can adopt
them out, after they are spayed or neutered.

Aren't safety pins the larval form of wire coat hangers? As in, you bring
safety pins into your home, shortly you can't find them anyplace, and your
closet ends up full of wire hangers.

Amazing! Very few people know the secret behind this phenomenon.
You must be wired (pun intended) into this esoteric site.

HB

I want to know what's the larval form of dental
floss. Short piece of polyester that grow like
tapeworms.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2014 7:55 AM, TimR wrote:
Oh! Then I won't have to call the plumber until I drop the floss down

the drain and plug it up? ;o)

We had a "thread" about that a while back, someone retrieved a huge
plug of dental floss from his "sew"er.

Dental floss is usually nylon or PTFE fiber. Both of which would not
degrade if flushed. Best to leave out of your pipes.

Pipes, does that include eating dental floss?

Garbage in, garbage out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dental floss and now cinder block

On 5/13/2014 11:17 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd
ask is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not
related to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and
coffee table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself
clever, who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses,
including one where you take a leather thong and hang it around your
neck as a macho tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?

Sharpening stone for machetes?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 May 2014 03:20:17 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/13/2014 11:17 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
Years ago when looking for imaginative talent one of the questions I'd
ask is, "how many uses for a common cinder block can you think of, not
related to its intended use in construcion?" Including bookshelving and
coffee table legs, I could only come up with 6 myself [and think myself
clever, who doesn't?] I was once told there were over 26 good uses,
including one where you take a leather thong and hang it around your
neck as a macho tiki god symbol. Remember the 60's and 70's?

Sharpening stone for machetes?

1. bookcase shelf supports
2. coffee table legs
3. Sharpening stone for machetes
4. handy desk top paper weight
5. kitchen utensil for 'manually' grinding herbs
6. convenient wrist band as memory improvement device

Dental floss toilet beast (must see) [email protected] Home Repair 41 January 23rd 12 08:15 AM
Glide dental floss = PTFE ? Richard J Kinch Metalworking 7 December 11th 10 09:25 PM
dental gold? Grant Erwin Metalworking 26 August 17th 08 02:23 PM
Dental Gold Larry Jaques Metalworking 2 August 8th 08 01:37 PM
Dental X-ray machine Al A. Electronics Repair 14 June 17th 04 03:49 AM