Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Volvo gear changing

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Surely the 1800 came after the introduction of yer basic 20/50?

You are quite right, but it was certainly something different
that I tried. I don't think it was simply a winter grade. The
intervening 36 years have blurred all details of the cure, whilst
memory of the difficulties of negotiating the evening traffic
without a full complement of gears remains vivid.

I had an Austin 1800 MkII for many a year - and don't remember selecting
first being anymore difficult than other BMC cars (or others of that era)
It was a cable change one too - later cars had a rod change. Which wore
out quickly. ;-)

I do remember having to change a gearbox casing on one though. IN
reverse, if you dropped the clutch with a bang, and they hadn't bothered
to fit the locking washer, the big nut on the layshaft would spin off
the shaft and mill its way through the gearbox casing..

I vividly remember borrowing a socket and LONG torque wrench and fitting
scaffold pipe over it to get the new nut back on at the most torque -
150in lb- that I have ever done a nut up to. And then banging the new
lock washer (there wasn't an old one of course) back to lock the
nut...before refitting the new casing, bearing and seal..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.