Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default Hinges that work in two directions - special name?

On 27/04/2014 10:28, wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
wrote:

That's just about *exactly* what I'm after, however the price is a bit
OTT. I need 16 (or maybe 24) of them which would add up to something
like £800. However maybe 'dual axis hinge' is something to search for.

If you need that many a light engineering company would make you some.
Or even a DIYer! The design could be extremely simple. I'm nothing
special in this area but if I wanted something like that I'd just go
ahead and make it.

Yes, I probably will do that, I can do (simple) welding etc. The
design/shape of the 'dual axis hinge' is one that I hadn't really
thought of for the thing I'm trying to do and it lends itself fairly
easily to DIY because it's basically simple and robust with no really
nasty stress concentrated bits.

I guess the main reason for the price of the commercial ones is the
friction/torque aspect, from your description of a moveable bar I
thought this might be relevant.
If it isn't and a "free" hinge is ok then they look like they should(!)
be DIY-able...

Lee