Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_2_] Tim+[_2_] is offline

Default Volvo gear changing

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Gazz wrote:

I had an Iveco based motorhome, and it was a bitch to get into second ...
So they sold me a synthetic oil to replace the mineral oil in the box,

The difference in gear changes was amazing, every single gear became lighter
to engage, and i could now select 2nd at a stand still with the clutch down,
or even go into 2nd whilst slowing to a stop at lights,

i really was ready to strip the box down expecting to find the syncro chewed
to pieces, and honestly didn't expect an oil change to do much, but i was
glad i did try it, a 10 litre bottle of synthetic oil was better than a
gearbox strip.... and likely to find nothing wrong anyway

That takes me back to an Austin 1800 which really didn't like to
engage 1st when cold. I fiddled with the cable gear selectors for
a while, to no avail.

I happened to change to one of the (then) new multigrade oils
(engine and gearbox shared the same oil) and suddenly the problem
disappeared.

Chris

Surely the 1800 came after the introduction of yer basic 20/50?

Tim