Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Volvo gear changing

Gazz wrote:

I had an Iveco based motorhome, and it was a bitch to get into second ...
So they sold me a synthetic oil to replace the mineral oil in the box,

The difference in gear changes was amazing, every single gear became lighter
to engage, and i could now select 2nd at a stand still with the clutch down,
or even go into 2nd whilst slowing to a stop at lights,

i really was ready to strip the box down expecting to find the syncro chewed
to pieces, and honestly didn't expect an oil change to do much, but i was
glad i did try it, a 10 litre bottle of synthetic oil was better than a
gearbox strip.... and likely to find nothing wrong anyway

That takes me back to an Austin 1800 which really didn't like to
engage 1st when cold. I fiddled with the cable gear selectors for
a while, to no avail.

I happened to change to one of the (then) new multigrade oils
(engine and gearbox shared the same oil) and suddenly the problem
disappeared.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK